Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) stock is down in the current market after announcing first-quarter results. AMZN stock is currently trading at $2,404.79, losing more than 3.2% from the previous close. AMZN stock previously closed at $2,485.63 with a trading volume of 3.5 million shares.
Global Retail E-Commerce Industry
Amazon is the market leader when it comes to the e-commerce industry. The E-commerce industry saw a boom after 2010 when, after the boom of smartphones and digital literacy. The majority of the sales happen due to smartphones than someone making a purchase on a PC.
According to the estimates, the global retail industry was around $20.3 trillion in 2020. Forecasts say that this number will reach $29.4 trillion in 2025 and $39.9 trillion in 2030, with a compound annual growth rate of 7.7% and 6.3%, respectively.
AMZN: First Quarter 2022 Results
- The revenue of Amazon increased to $116.4 billion by 7% in Q1 compared to the revenue in the same quarter last year. Previously, it was $108.5 billion.
- In the first quarter of 2022, the company’s operating income was $3.7 billion, compared to $8.9 billion in the first quarter of 2021.
- The company’s net loss was around $3.8 billion in Q1 2022, while on the contrary, the company recorded an income of $8.1 billion in Q1 2021.
- Diluted loss per share in Q1 2022 was $7.56; in Q1 2021, diluted earnings per share were $15.79.
AMZN: Q2 Guidance
- Compared to the second quarter of 2021, net sales will be between $116.0 billion and $121.0 billion, or a 3 percent to 7 percent increase in Q2 2022. About 200 basis points are expected to be impacted by foreign currency rates.
- The company expects $(1.0) billion to $(3.0) billion operating profit (loss) in Q2 2022, compared with $7.7 billion in the second quarter of 2021.
- Forecasts for Prime Day in 2022 are predicated on the third quarter occurring as expected.
- Several assumptions are made, including that Amazon would make no further acquisitions or restructurings.